Maine Child Visitation Attorney


Child Visitation in Maine

Father sons

When parents are divorced or living apart, they have to come to an agreement on how their child's time will be divided between them.  This is called parental rights and responsibilities or child custody. If parents cannot reach a custody agreement that they are both happy with, they may petition the court to make a ruling for them. The court always works to determine what solution would be in the child's best interests. A child custody determination made by the State of Maine, it is binding and further legal proceedings will be needed in order to have it altered.

When a child custody agreement is made, one parent is usually granted primary residence and the other visitation. Primary residence means the home where the child will live most of the time. This does not mean that the other parent will not be granted responsibilities and the ability to make decisions for the child. They will, however, have to obey the visitation schedule in order to see their child.

Maine Visitation Laws

Under Maine law, both parents have an equal right to guardianship of their child. The decision to grant primary residence and visitation is made by the court when they feel it would benefit the child the most. In some case, parents will be able to split custody equally.

For the most part, a parent is free to spend their visitation time however they please. The only exceptions are when the court feels the parent has shown some reason that the child may be unsafe in certain circumstances. For example, section 1653(6) states that in cases where the parent has had a history of domestic violence, the court may order that parent-child contact:

  • Be supervised Involve exchanging the child in a protected setting
  • Prohibit overnight visitation
  • Require the parents to abstain from possessing or consuming alcohol or drugs
  • Be subject to any other condition that would keep the child safe

Additionally, orders may be given during visitation to a household in which a sex offender resides in order to make sure that the child's safety and well-being is looked after at all times.

Violating Visitation Orders in Maine

One common issue with visitation arises when the parent with primary custody is late or refuses to hand over the child during the other parent's visitation. If the parental rights and responsibilities agreement is not adhered to by one parent, the other may petition the court for a hearing to deal with the noncompliance. If the court decides that one parent has violated the order they may find them in contempt and may:

  • Make the order more specific as to the obligations of each parent
  • Order additional visitation be provided to replace that visitation which was denied
  • Fine the noncomplying parent $100

In addition to parent visitation, grandparents have certain visitation rights as well. Maine law, section 1803 gives grandparents the right to seek visitation under certain circumstances.

Maine Child Custody Lawyer

If you are facing a child custody issue or trying to get more visitation with your child, call our office to find out more about your rights. A Maine divorce attorney from WTB Law can help you get the results you want.


  • William Bly won't let you down!

    I will with out hesitation recommend Bill to anyone !!! He fought diligently for a year to ensure me the best results possible and to avoid trial. In the end Bill saved me my career and kept me out of jail. There is really no way to fully express my gratitude. Bill and Ann are always easily ... Read On

  • Bottom line results

    As an attorney it was clear to me that achieving a favorable disposition of an OUI charge with a difficult fact pattern would require specialized representation. Bill quickly proved this instinct correct and his nuanced and detailed understanding of and experience with the intricacies of the arre... Read On

  • Highly Recommend

    I found myself searching the internet hoping to find an attorney who I could trust and wouldn't just tell me what I wanted to hear. I was visiting from out of state when I was charged with an OUI as well as a refusal. I contacted Mr. Bly after reading reviews and other client recommendations. I c... Read On


Here at WTB LAW, we provide professional and aggressive criminal defense representation that exceeds the expectations of our clients and secures their freedom and their future.

Contact Us Today

What distinguishes our Firm from the numerous law firms throughout the state is that we genuinely care about the well-being of our clients. The staff and attorneys of WTB LAW ensure that every client receives hands-on and personalized attention throughout the life of their case.

50 Adams Street
Biddeford, ME 04005
(207) 571-8146
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 08:00am - 05:00pm