SENIOR ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
We are seeking a senior associate who is passionate about criminal defense, and can help take our growing law firm to the next level. We are not your typical law firm. We are poised for growth, and we're looking for a senior level attorney who can hit the ground running in order to provide our current and future clients with outstanding representation. You must have strong research and writing skills and documented, extensive trial and motion practice experience.
- Conduct client meetings and recommend strategies
- Mentor junior associate attorneys
- Provide high level support on complex criminal cases to the Firm owner
- Engage in full-service criminal defense services, which include representing those accused of violent felonies, sex offenses, domestic violence charges, DUI/OUI & represent our clients before the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles
- Your case load will consist primarily of privately retained criminal cases as well as a sprinkling of serious felonies from the MCILS court appointed roster
- You will be responsible for conducting discovery, providing high level legal research support when requested, drafting and reviewing pleadings and motions, conducting pretrial hearings and conferences, motion hearings, and criminal trials (bench and jury trials)
- Applicant should have a minimum of 7 years experience in defending the criminally accused or a combination of prosecution and defense experience.
- Applicant has conducted a minimum of 12 jury trials as a “first chair”, of which at least 6 were high level felony charges (Class B or A level offenses), 30+ motion to suppress hearings, 75+ bail arguments, and experience as a significant contributor on high-level, felony cases.
- Examples of significant contributions includes conducting examinations of lesser witnesses as a 2ndchair, preparation of trial strategy, preparation of witnesses and clients for examination and trial, legal research on dispositive legal issues, and assistance with preparing opening and closing statements. High level legal research skills are essential.
- Your personality, character, intelligence, and integrity are also extremely important considerations. However, the right fit, willingness to learn and team oriented attitude are equally important qualities.
- Professional DUI defense credentials such as course completion in SFST administration, Intox 8000 certification, DRE course work, etc., is highly recommended but not a requirement.
- High-maintenance, humorless, self-entitled, or self-important individuals will not succeed in this position and need not apply.
- Shrinking violets, i.e., attorneys who are afraid to speak up in a court setting and advocate for their clients, need not apply.
- If you've never tried a case to its conclusion in front of a jury, please don't apply for this position. If you've only tried a handful of cases to a jury, please don't apply for this position. Real world trial experience is a mandatory requirement for all of our candidates. This is not an OJT position.
- If you think the Constitution is a technicality, please don't apply.
- If you think pleading your client guilty is the best thing you can do for him or her, please do not apply.
- If we can't count on you to show up to court on time, please don't apply.
- If you don't understand the phrase “professional attire” and how it could possibly apply to you, please don't apply.
- We are growing, and you will be called upon to wear many hats. We need someone who does not think that the occasional need to scan your own documents is “beneath you."
- Former felony prosecution experience is a plus but not a requirement.
- Federal CJA panel experience is a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The compensation package includes a base salary plus bonus compensation for production and performance. We offer a generous benefits package including health insurance, a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer matching contributions, paid time off & a company credit card for approved expense categories. We also pay for continuing legal education, bar dues, and some approved voluntary bar memberships.
How to Apply
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, we look forward to reviewing your resume. Please follow these instructions. APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Prepare a cover letter that explains what you believe are the 3 most important qualities an attorney must possess when working with the criminally accused. As a closing sentence please write, “I have read the instructions contained in the job posting and have followed the instructions.” Do not send your resume through the online application system. Instead, email your cover letter, resume, your three (3) most recent substantive writing samples that demonstrates your performance as an advocate in PDF format, 3 professional recommendations from the legal field (yes, we check references), and a list of all trials conducted (ensure that you include the case captions, docket number, whether you were first or second chair, a brief summary of the case and the case result) to [email protected] The subject line of the email should contain your full name (all caps), followed by a hyphen and the phrase “Senior Associate,” followed by a hyphen and one word that you would use to describe yourself (lower case).