SENIOR ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
We are seeking a senior associate who is passionate about criminal defense and can help take our growing law firm to the next level. We are not your typical law firm. We are poised for growth, and we're looking for a senior level attorney who can hit the ground running in order to provide our current and future clients with outstanding representation. You must have strong research and writing skills and documented, extensive trial and motion practice experience.
The firm owner, William Bly, has been trained in the Spence TLC method of trial practice. The Trial Lawyer College philosophy is a large part of who we are and how we view our clients, juries and prosecution. While having a TLC background is not a mandatory requirement, it is highly desirable.
- Conduct client meetings and implement strategies
- Mentor junior associate & associate attorneys
- Provide high level legal support on complex criminal cases to the Firm owner
- Engage in full-service criminal defense services, which include representing those accused of violent felonies, sex offenses, domestic violence charges, DUI/OUI, Vehicular Manslaughter & represent our DUI clients before administrative law bodies
- Your case load will consist primarily of privately retained criminal cases
- You will directly supervise the quality of work performed by associate and junior associates responsible MCILS court appointed roster work
- You will be responsible for conducting discovery, providing high level legal research support when needed, drafting and reviewing complex pleadings and motions, conducting pretrial hearings and conferences, motion hearings, and criminal trials (bench and jury trials)in both first and second chair (when supervising associate and junior associate attorney trials) capacity
- Applicant must have experience in defending the criminally accused or a combination of prosecution and defense experience.
- Applicant must have extensive first chair experience defending the criminally accused on high level felony charges (Class B or A level offenses; examples include sex offenses such as Gross Sexual Assault / Rape, Aggravated Assault cases, DUI Manslaughter cases, Drug Trafficking cases, Child Pornography cases, etc.).
- High level legal research skills are essential. You should be intimately familiar with Lexis Nexis as we are not a West Law firm.
- Your personality, character, intelligence, and integrity are extremely important considerations. However, the right fit, willingness to learn and team oriented attitude are equally important qualities.
- Professional DUI defense credentials such as course completion in SFST administration, Intoxilyzer 8000 certification, DRE course work, etc., is desirable but not a requirement.
- High-maintenance, humorless, self-entitled or self-important individuals will not succeed in this position and need not apply.
- If you've only tried a handful of cases to a jury, please don't apply for this position. Real world trial experience is a mandatory requirement for all candidates. This is not an OJT position.
- If you'd rather plead your client guilty than try difficult cases, please do not apply.
- If we can't count on you to show up to court on time, please don't apply.
- You must have the ability to negotiate with the other side. If your immediate reaction is to fight every battle without the thought of negotiating an outcome that would be in the client's best interests, then this law firm isn't the right fit for you. Attorneys who fight for the sake of fighting will not succeed here. With that said, you must have a high degree of self-confidence and a high level skill set for trying cases. This is not a "plead 'em guilty and move on the next one" law firm.
- We are growing, and you will be called upon to wear many hats. We need someone who does not think that the occasional need to scan your own documents or build your own trial binders is “beneath you."
- Federal CJA panel experience is a plus.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package including health insurance, a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer matching contributions, paid time off & a company credit card for approved expense categories. We also pay for continuing legal education, bar dues, and some approved voluntary bar memberships.
How to Apply
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, we look forward to reviewing your resume. Please follow these instructions. APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND WILL BE “CIRCULAR FILED”. Prepare a cover letter that explains what you believe are the 3 most important qualities an attorney must possess when working with the criminally accused. As a closing sentence please write, “I have read the instructions contained in the job posting and have followed the instructions.” Email your cover letter, resume, your three (3) most recent substantive writing samples that demonstrates your performance as an advocate in PDF format, 3 professional recommendations from the legal field (yes, we check references) to [email protected]. The subject line of the email should contain your full name (all caps), followed by a hyphen and the phrase “Senior Associate,” followed by a hyphen and one word that you would use to describe yourself (lower case).