Maine’s Premier DUI
& Criminal Defense Law Firm


Can You Go to Canada with a DUI?

Posted by William Bly | Oct 31, 2016 | 0 Comments


I get a lot of clients that ask, “Can I go to Canada with a DUI?” The short, simple answer is, “No.” But there's a “maybe” behind it. If you have a DUI conviction, there is a period of time that can go by where Canada may consider you rehabilitated, but there's a lot of paperwork hurdles that you're gonna have to get through in order to go there. For example, if you've been suspended by our Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Not even convicted, you've been suspended, Canada will treat that as a conviction and you are persona non grata. So you're going up with all your friends up to Labrador for some big expensive, exotic fishing trip to go for Big Brook Trout, and you get to the border, and they let everybody go except you. They tell you you gotta turn around. That's not a place you wanna be. If you have any concerns about admission Canada or you're thinking about traveling, that's where you need to get an immigration attorney involved, hopefully on the Canadian side, to guide you through that process. But again, the short answer is, “No. you are not admissible to Canada.”

About the Author

William Bly

William T. Bly, Esq. is a graduate of Rutgers College where he majored in Political Science with a minor in U.S. History. Attorney Bly attended and graduated the University of Maine School of Law. During his time in law school, Attorney Bly focused on criminal defense.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

What distinguishes our Firm from the numerous law firms throughout the state is that we genuinely care about the well-being of our clients. The staff and attorneys of WTB LAW ensure that every client receives hands-on and personalized attention throughout the life of their case.