Portland ME Sex Crimes Attorney
Serving the Regions of Portland, Bangor, Augusta, Biddeford and Saco
What is a sex crime?
Sex crimes can be defined as any unlawful sexual act, including anything from sexual assault to possessing and/or distributing child pornography. The types of offenses that are included under the term "sex crime" are broad and wide-ranging, but they must all be inherently sexual in nature.
The penalties that result from a conviction of any of these offenses are often severe and can affect a convicted offender for the rest of their life.
Even an allegation of a sex crime can tarnish an individual's reputation and lead to the stigma of being a "sex offender" to follow them around indefinitely-even if they are eventually cleared of the charges. A skilled Portland Me sex crimes attorney will be able to defend your reputation against such charges.
Some of the most common types of sexual offenses include:
- Sexual assault- The act of forcing an unwanted sexual act upon another through coercion, physical force, and/or verbal threats
- Rape- The act of forcing sexual intercourse upon another without their consent and/or despite objection, through coercion or physical force
- Statutory rape- The act of forcing sexual intercourse on a person who is not of age, or of engaging in any sexual acts with a person who is not of age, even with their consent
- Child molestation- Any sexual acts performed with a child or the act of exposing oneself in an inappropriate manner with the intention of sexual contact
- Possession/distribution of child pornography- Child pornography includes any images and/or videos involving a child that depict sexually explicit acts
- Indecent exposure- The act of purposefully exposing parts of the body, including genital areas, the buttocks, and/or female breasts, in public or under inappropriate circumstances
If convicted of any of these sexual offenses, serious penalties are likely to ensue. Depending on the type of sex crime, penalties may vary, but one may expect to face jail time and required registration in a sex offender database.
Maine Sex Criminal Defense Lawyer
Legal Consequences of a Sex Crime
There are many factors that may contribute to the type of charges that are waged against a defendant. If drugs and/or alcohol were used to impair the other person's ability to object, if verbal and/or physical threats were waged against them, if they were unconscious during any sexual act, and/or if they have not yet reached the age of consent, different classifications of crime, and the resulting penalties, will be decided. The legal age of consent in Maine is 16 years old, but certain regulations can change the circumstances of what could be considered a statutory rape offense.
If both parties are over 14 years old and the age difference between them is not greater than 5 years, it will not be considered a sex crime under the law. If a person has not yet reached the age of consent and engages in a sexual act with someone more than 5 years older, however, this is considered a sexual offense. Similarly, if a person is not yet 14 years old and engages in a sexual act with anyone who has reached the legal age of consent, that person can be charged with statutory rape-which falls under the category of "gross sexual assault." The laws surrounding juvenile sex crimes are not always straight forward.
Gross sexual assault is punishable by up to 30 years in prison and a $50,000 fine, as it is considered a class A felony offense. In many cases, a convicted offender will also be required to register in a sex offender database at the request of the court, but in accordance to state law, it is not mandatory for all persons convicted of a sex crime. The best way to make sure you get good results in your sex crime case is to hire a Maine sex crime defense lawyer to represent you. Again, sentencing and the resulting penalties will be strictly dependent on the type of crime that occurred and the circumstantial factors of the incident.
Contact our offices to speak with a skilled Portlant ME sex offenses attorney who can help you fight sex crime charges. We are here to help you! We serve all of Maine including Biddeford, Sacco, and Bangor regions.